Saturday 3 December 2011

Blog #9

I have just began a new book called Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka. This book is an interesting read because it shows the story in three seperate points of view, all from main characters. The first perspective is from Celeste, a fourteen year old girl who lives in community where you are married at the age fifteen to a man that has wives already. These girls that are being married at the age of fifteen then become sister wifes to the man the prophet has chosen for them. Any girl that challenges this custom, or thinks "impure" thoughts about not wanting that life are frowned upon. Almost at the age fifteen, Celeste does not agree with the idea of sister wives, and wants to choose her own life. Another side of the story is told by Tavianna. Tavianna is a teen brought into the community by the elders, saved from her terrible life on the street in the village, Springdale. Since Tavianna has not lived in Unity (the community Celeste lives in) for her whole life, she does not follow all of their customs and is a bit of a wild card, a well needed one though in this strict place. The last perspecitve is from Nanette, Celeste's younger sister who is thirteen. Nanette is everything Unity looks for in a young girl; honest, brave, and most imortantly, she agrees with and follows all of the customs in Unity, even the marraige rule. When Nanette finds out about her sister's impure thoughts, she is challenged in making the right desicion of what to do about this. Should she tell the Prophet, or let her sister live her own life. I really don't know what I would do if I had to marry at the age fifteen. I mean, for me, that would be like marrying a man next year about three times my age. Reading this book had been really eye opening for me, because I've heard stories of sister wives before, but I have never heard from points of view that have/are experiencing it. What I am wondering is if Celeste will find a way to esacpe her arranged marriage because hearing from her perspective, she is very much so against the idea. Will this mean Celeste will have to escape Unity, or find a way to convince her parents not to give her away? An even bigger question though, will Celeste be the hero to her story and save herself from marriage, or will she be rescued by something or someone? How do I recognize if she is or isn't? It is hard to tell, considering I just started into this book, but I think Celeste will be the hero of her own story. I think this because Celeste has shown from right off the bat, she does not agree with the culture surronding her. Celeste doesn't seem to shy down from stating her opinion, she openly shared what her community would call "impure" thoughts with her sister about how she disagreed with the idea of sister wives, making her brave. This makes her brave because even thinking thoughts against the culture in Unity is considered impure, and you can be punished. Celeste is different from the other women/girls in her community because she thinks for herself. These are some traits that are valued in a hero. I know that if you feel strongly enough about something, you can put up a good fight about it.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you wrote this. It gives a really clear idea of what the book is like, and it sounds really good. I might have to read it.

    ReplyDelete